February 8, 2018


Dear Students,

I hope the Spring Semester is off to a great beginning! It has been great hearing from so many of you. A common theme that has come to my attention is that students are not necessarily aware of the many resources that we provide in Student Affairs. As a result, we are assessing our communications efforts to ensure that students know of the various resources available. I would like to take this opportunity to share some of those now.

-Resources for Students in Need of Legal Services-
The Office of Student Legal Services (http://rusls.rutgers.edu) is open year-round and provides legal assistance and advice to all Rutgers students. The office also holds community outreach seminars and workshops and offers educational opportunities for interested students in the form of internships and externships. Students can easily make an appointment to see one of our attorneys for a free legal consultation.

-Resources for Students with Food and Housing Insecurity-
Students dealing with food or housing insecurity should contact the Office of the Dean of Students (deanofstudents.rutgers.edu) immediately to be connected with support. There is also a Student Food Pantry (foodpantry.rutgers.edu) that exclusively serves Rutgers students at 39 Union Street on the College Avenue Campus. If you have mobility issues, please call 732-445-2412 for an appointment. A staff member in the Office of
Off-Campus Housing and Community Partnerships will make arrangements to meet with you at another location on campus.

-Resources for Students with Children-
There are a number of resources for students with children on our campus. We have lactation rooms available (http://rhsmedical.rutgers.edu/services/lactation-room/), family housing on the Busch Campus (http://ruoncampus.rutgers.edu/facilities/graduate-students/family-housing/), and case managers in the Office of the Dean of Students (deanofstudents.rutgers.edu) to provide resources and support to students in need. Some of these include: academic referrals, addressing food insecurity, referrals to community resources, and legal referrals. A working group has also been created with staff from Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and other university officials to review the specific needs of students who are parents of dependent children.

-Resources for Students who are Victims of Violence-
The Office for Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (vpva.rutgers.edu) provides services designed to raise awareness of and respond to the impact of interpersonal violence and other crimes.These services include education outreach and awareness to prevent sexual violence, as well as supporting any students who are victims.

When in doubt, please don’t hesitate to contact the Office of the Dean of Students at deanofstudents@echo.rutgers.edu. They are here to provide solutions, services, and support to all students. You can also speak with a dean during walk-in hours Monday-Friday from 1pm-5pm.

The Division of Student Affairs seeks to provide a web of support to ensure that students are connected and supported. I ask for your help in raising awareness of these resources and referring fellow Scarlet Knights in need of support. You can also anonymously share your concern about a student by utilizing the “Concerned Button” on any of our websites (http://health.rutgers.edu/do-something-to-help/). As always, I look forward to and appreciate your feedback. My open office hours are Fridays from 10am-12noon in the College Avenue Student Center.

Warm regards,

Dr. Felicia McGinty
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
Rutgers University–New Brunswick