Student Affairs staff at Rutgers University foster learning environments that engage and empower our students to grow and develop. Through the collaboration of our departments, we are committed to providing a complete university experience that is student-centered and focused on meeting our students' developmental and learning needs.
Therefore, we are committed to:
- Provide high quality programs, facilities, and services that promote student engagement, health, and success
- Provide and assess learning opportunities grounded in student development and learning theory
- Empower students to grow and thrive academically, emotionally, physically, socially, and spiritually
- Create environments that encourage students to become responsible, engaged, and empowered community members and citizens
- Empower students to advocate for their own educational and developmental needs
- Set high expectations for student success and provide them with the support necessary to meet those expectations
- Foster ethical behavior through guidance, mentorship, programming, role modeling, and direct intervention
- Create inclusive communities that embrace diversity and difference
- Seek, develop, and nurture collaborations within the division, University, and the broader community that strengthen our capacity to serve our students
- Serve as a resource to the university community about students, their development, and their needs
The values and ideals that guide us are:
- Diversity - We embrace difference by cultivating inclusiveness and respect of both people and points of view, and by promoting not only tolerance and acceptance, but support and advocacy.
- Ethic of Care - We care for our students as whole people, support them in times of need, and enthusiastically engage them in ways that inspire and mentor them.
- Professionalism - We promote personal integrity, a culture of service responsive to students’ needs that meets or exceeds their expectations, and effective and efficient stewardship of resources.
- Collaboration - We foster a collegial atmosphere that encourages open communication, cooperation, and teamwork.
- Evidence-based Decision Making - Through continual assessment, research, and evaluation we improve our practice and foster innovation.